Which CPR Class Do I Need?

I often get this question from callers who are interested in getting AHA CPR Certified as a pre-requisite for a medical education program, licensing board, or employment. I usually ask the following questions to determine the right CPR class for the individual.

1. Are you a healthcare provider?

If yes, you will need BLS Healthcare Provider Course.

2. Are you a childcare provider?

Childcare Providers, nannies, foster parents, and anyone dealing with pediatrics need Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid with CPR AED. This class covers pediatric first aid, and CPR with AED for adults, children, and infants.

3. Are you a non-healthcare provider, such as a gym trainer, or a security officer?

Non-healthcare providers seeking CPR training for workplace safety need the Heartsaver First Aid and CPR Course.

4. When in doubt, it is best to ask your school, employer, or licensing board the EXACT name of the CPR class they want you to take.

This is the last resort answer I give to callers when they are unsure which CPR training course they should take. It is important to ask for the exact name and the certifying association that your card should come from. The American Heart Association cards are universally accepted, but it is important to know the name of the course you need, or at least the information that needs to be covered. If you get the information straight from the source that is requiring certification, you cannot go wrong!

26,522 thoughts on “Which CPR Class Do I Need?